Saturday, July 18, 2009

Custom Cylinder = CAST!!

So yesterday was a pretty big day for Team Nerdspeed. I went ahead and cast my first cylinder. The mold has been sitting around forever, waiting on me to build another furnace and iron out the kinks in the process. Every time I do this I learn something. Yesterday's lesson was: Don't stop pouring until the mold is full. When I poured, there was an exceptional amount of flame coming out of the mouth of the mold, also enough steam & smoke so that I couldn't see the mold's gate even though I was standing right over it. I backed off for a second and starting pouring again. Mistake! The mold filled really well during the first pour, had I just continued pouring the quality of my custom cylinder would have likely been much better. Even so, my cylinder is usable, after some clean up and machining. I'm really happy about it, I've been waiting a long time to do this one. If this is the first you've heard of this, check out some older posts: The Prestige, Step by Step, Vulcan God of Fire & Metal, Updates 5/14
gilardoni 75cc







5 comments:

Ian T said...

CJ i am so stoked for you and this

Anonymous said...

so rad josh!

Anonymous said...

looks fresh! I'm excited to see/hear of the end result. next level here.

BRANDON said...

you're my hero!

Philip Patrie said...

CAST CAST CAST!